Re: ayatana-indicator-messages: bump epoch in package version from <none> to 1

Hi Mike,

Quoting Mike Gabriel (2021-12-12 13:53:55)
> the src:package ayatana-indicator-messages contains bin:pkgs
> (libmessagingmenu*) that have the same name as Ubuntu's src:pkg
> indicator-messages.
>
> The src:pkg indicator-messages has a higher version number than
> ayatana-indicator-messages and thus the latter fails to be imported
> into Ubuntu.
>
> See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1000801
>
> The solution for this probably is bumping the epoch of the package
> version to 1:0.9.x-y. Any objections to this by anyone?
>
> Bumping the epoch to 1 would be sufficient, right?

Binary packages need not use same versions as source package.

Instead of introducing an epoch you could pass option -v to
dpkg-gencontrol via dh_gencontrol.

See
https://salsa.debian.org/js-team/jsbundle-web-interfaces/-/blob/debian/master/debian/rules#L65
for an example - notice that the source version is appended to ensure
that binary packages get incremented with each new source release.

 - Jonas