Re: Extending debspawn

On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 13:53 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> debspawn is extremely handy if one just wants a container to quickly try
> stuff or to build a package in a clean environment. I especially like
> that zero infrastructure is needed: We already have systemd and that's
> all whats needed to fire up an nspawn container.
>
> But sometimes, one wants more than that, for example two shells in the
> same container. That's something that debspawn seems to be unable to do.
>
> Is there any way to fire up a pid-1-systemd isntance inside a debspawn
> container, so that the container could have an IP address and run its
> own sshd? Or is there any way to get a login prompt from an already
> running debspawn container?
>
> What magic have other people built around debspawn? Or is everybody
> using a fully-fledged docker for all non-trivial things?
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Not familiar with debspawn, but nspawn (like other container managers)
has the concept for "booting" a container or simply starting a shell in
it (chroot on steroids).

If debspawn is using the latter, to use the former is sufficient to
pass --boot to nspawn - a cursory look into the manpage of debspawn
seems to indicate it doesn't support passing forward parameters, but I
might be wrong.

Regarding networking, if you have networkd on the host and in the guest
in booted mode, you also automagically get a private network bridged
onto the host's with bells and whistles.

Hope this helps.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi