Extending debspawn

Hallo,

debspawn is extremely handy if one just wants a container to quickly try
stuff or to build a package in a clean environment. I especially like
that zero infrastructure is needed: We already have systemd and that's
all whats needed to fire up an nspawn container.

But sometimes, one wants more than that, for example two shells in the
same container. That's something that debspawn seems to be unable to do.

Is there any way to fire up a pid-1-systemd isntance inside a debspawn
container, so that the container could have an IP address and run its
own sshd? Or is there any way to get a login prompt from an already
running debspawn container?

What magic have other people built around debspawn? Or is everybody
using a fully-fledged docker for all non-trivial things?

Greetings
Marc