Re: Using release-monitoring.org [was: uscan roadmap]

On Sat, Dec 04, 2021 at 02:43:56AM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I think that there's a security consideration associated with all these
> proposals for externalizing finding upstream updates.  Currently watch files
> and at least the redirectors I know of all run on Debian infrastructure or on
> the systems of the Debian person doing the update.

I don't see how? At least repology just tells you "there is a new
upstream release", it doesn't tell you where to get it. It's up to the
maintainer to know where to download a new release.

Obviously if upstream is compromised and a new "release" is produced
that contains malicious code then there is a problem, but that is a
problem that is neither exacerbated nor mitigated by using repology.

> If one of these services were ever compromised it would provide a
> vector for offering substitute upstream code (at least for the cases
> where upstream releases aren't both signed by upstream and verified in
> Debian).  I find that prospect concerning.

Validating that upstream releases are valid is part of the job of being
a maintainer in Debian. Having some helper service that tells you there
is a new release doesn't change that.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}