Re: uscan roadmap

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 12:39:41PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:

And not only.

> On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 09:11:17AM +0100, Yadd wrote:
> > after few discussions with some devscripts maintainers, we decided to build
> > a new "version=5" format for debian/watch.

To be clear, this is a *very* non-ready proposal that we are getting
through the wider community.  Nothing of this is implemented anywhere.

> >    * URL and regex are separated
> >    * Some default values change. For example, `dversionmangle` default
> >      value will be "auto" (drop +dfsg, ~ds,...), uversionmangle=s/-/~/g,
> >      filenamemangle=s/.*?(\d[\d\.]*@ARCHIVE_EXT@)/@PACKAGE@-$1/...

I honestly would like to add website-aware functionalities to uscan,
such as exactly this.

> I think the move from v4 to v5 is an excellent opportunity
> to express in the watch file that there is a dependency on a redirector.
[..]
>      Version: 5
>      Source: https://qa.debian.org/watch/sourceforge/<project> <tar-name>-(.+)\.tar\.gz debian uupdate

I would like something like:
  Source: qa-redirector
  Source-Options:
   name: sourceforge
   project: <project>

Likewise, I would love if uscan could just learn how github, gitlab,
launchpad, etc are made so prople won't have to bother with sticking
urls into watchfiles, such as:

  Source: GitHub
  Source-Options:
   namespace: trendmicro
   project: tlsh
   match-on: tags|releases

To go either matching on https://github.com/trendmicro/tlsh/tags or
https://github.com/trendmicro/tlsh/releases. using then Scheme (a name
that, tbh, I don't particularly like right now) for the tags or releases
regex.

> And I think such change will allow removal of
>
>        bare
>            Disable all site specific special case code such as URL
>            redirector uses and page content alterations.
>
> from the uscan code and uscan manual page  (they are in /usr/bin/uscan )
>

> The goal is to have documented that there are extra components being used.
> Avoiding nasty surprises.

this feels like the opposite direction I'm proposing above :D

> Awareness of redirectors will get us more redirectors.
> Those redirectors will help us to prevent that `uscan`
> must get a javascript interpreter.

Possibly, I'm indeed kind of unimpressed that we grew a parse for
nodejs' package.json and perl's META.json.  Though I accepted it because
I saw some value, I'm totally in awe of universes where that is actually
needed..

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo