Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021, at 8:06 PM, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>> On Thu, 2021-11-18 at 16:23 -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> Luca Bocassi wrote:
>>> nobody has actually seen [the file disappearance bug]
>>> happen, to the best of my knowledge.
>>
>> I already explained why that doesn't prove the bug is a non-issue.
>> To the contrary; it means there is an enormous installed base of
>> systems where the bug is latent, waiting to cause problems under
>> conditions which we can reasonably expect to occur shortly after
>> the release of bookworm.
>
> Why would the release of bookworm make any difference?

Up until the release of bookworm, all Debian packages must be
constructed on the assumption that they _might_ be unpacked on a
system that has not yet been converted to merged /usr.  Particularly
for priority-required packages, this means that no one will be moving
files from /bin, /lib, etc to /usr in the bookworm cycle.

Post-bookworm, if nothing changes, that assumption will no longer be
in force, and people who maintain packages that install files into /
will want to simplify their packaging by installing everything in /usr
instead.  If they also want to change the binary packages that ships
some of those files at any point in the same release cycle -- kaboom.

zw