Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:58:39 +0100, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
wrote:
>Given that these bugs are going to be utter bastards to reproduce, and
>you can be sure that we'll have enough diversity in installed systems
>that some people are going to manage to be sufficiently unlucky, it
>would be nice to know the sort of damage we might expect.
>
>It strikes me that we ought to be able to screen our own repos for
>packages that could be able to tickle this bug. That would give us the
>chance to look at what sorts of files we might realistically expect to
>be clobbered, it should give some indication of how many packages we
>should expect to be able to trigger this, and knowing this might suggest
>plausible work-arounds.

This is one of the cases where I wish that Debian would be a more
centrally organized project. Red Hat or SuSE would just fix their
package management and go on with their business.

It's a pity that we have actually THINK about alternatives to that
trivial and obvious approach because we leave our core package
maintainers too much freedom to stall.

Grüße
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |