Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Fri, 2021-11-12 at 04:57 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 11:21:38 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > >
> > > You keep repeating this, but I have no idea what bug you refer to.
> > >
> > > There's #148258 (from 2002), which is conffile related, and not
> > > actionable and should probably just be closed.
> > >
> > > There's #182747 (from 2003), which while apparently similar is
> > > something else completely. This is about the (IMO) misfeature of
> > > supporting a local admin to redirect (not alias) a directory using a
> > > local symlink (mainly for space management reasons). For an
> > > explanation
> > > see <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=779060#10>.
> > >
> > > There's #406715 (from 2007) which is related to the above misfeature.
> >
> > I am referring to #134758 since it's linked as the root cause from
> > usrmerge's #848622.
>
> Well, that's a bogus block then, because that's obviously not the root
> cause. I see I was CCed when that block was set, I guess I missed it.
> :/ Fixed it now…
>
> > "dpkg-query: Make -S handle unowned symlinks resolving to owned
> > pathnames" filed in February 2002 - 19 years and a half ago. I refer to
> > that because it's linked as the root cause in the BTS of the relevant
> > issue with usrmerge we are discussing.
>
> Even if the wishlist from that report got implemented, it would still
> not fully solve all the problems, where among them «dpkg-query -S»
> is probably the lesser one, which would not work in the other direction
> anyway (querying a path under /usr/ known to dpkg as being under /).
>
> And then I'm not convinced this should even be implemented at all,
> as it would introduce behavior differences between literal pathnames
> and patterns, and making them slower (for the first case) or potentially
> extremely slower (for the second case), in addition to making the queries
> dependent on the on-disk layout (so unreliable from the packaging PoV,
> as it would invent on the spot, pathnames not truly coming from any
> package nor otherwise known to dpkg).
>
> This for a misfeature in dpkg (supporting redirecting symlinks) that
> allowed the current mess anyway. So I'm inclined to wontfix and close
> that one.
>

> Not looking forward to further interactions…
> Guillem

Thanks for following up! There are currently 469 open bugs against
src:dpkg, it's of course entirely up to you which ones you choose to
fix and which one you close+wontfix. As far as workarounds go, this one
is really really trivial to deal with, so I personally wouldn't mind at
all.

Thank you for your work!

--
Kind regards,