Re: dash and hidden bashisms in configure scripts

On 11/10/21 12:50 PM, Andrej Shadura wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2021, at 19:18, Sam Hartman wrote:
I understand that it's generally better to fix bashisms in configure
scripts.
Is it possible to force autoconf to prefer bash for a given configure
script if it's difficult or undesirable to fix bashisms in a configure
script?

Yes, passing CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash to configure with do the thing.

Can we just enable LINENO in dash then, let the other packages FTBFS, and people who care about the packages that FTBFS can either:

A) Fix the bashisms, or
B) Add CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash to their ./configure invocation.

bash is currently Essential, so there's no need for a Build-Depends on bash for option B right now.

A might be easy, and B is definitely trivial.

It sounds like there are real benefits to enabling LINENO in dash. LINENO support is apparently required by POSIX, so this fixes dash in that regard (582952 comment #10) and for those packages using autoconf without bashisms, dash will speed them up (842242 comment #5).

Bug #582952 (the first time LINENO was enabled in dash) was from 2010. I understand reverting the change to dash if it was near a release. But that's not the case right now and at this point, it's been ELEVEN YEARS. It's time to move forward.

--
Richard