Re: Proposed mass bug filing: packages without support for build-arch and build-indep

Hi,

On 05/11/21 at 21:22 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose a MBF with severity:serious for the above issue.
> build-arch and build-indep are required targets according to Debian
> Policy section 4.9.  This rule was introduced in Policy version 3.9.4,
> released in 2012.
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#main-building-script-debian-rules
>
> There are 421 affected packages in unstable (389 in testing as of
> 2021-10-01).
> The list of affected packages according to lintian is
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-rules-missing-recommended-target
> A dd-list is included below.
>
> Unfortunately this is only a warning in lintian, which might explain
> why so many packages are still affected.
>
> I have no strong feelings about this requirement, but I see it as a good
> opportunity to identify packages whose packaging probably need a
> refresh. Therefore it is a good target, especially at the beginning of a
> release cycle, to either update old cruft or get it removed from the
> next stable release.
>
> This topic was raised back in April on debian-qa@, and saw no
> objection back then. See
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2021/04/msg00014.html (the thread
> included other topics).
>
> The bug template I plan to use is included below.
>
> I would prefer to file bugs directly with severity:serious, but I'm fine
> with starting with severity:important and bumping severity after a month
> or two if the release team prefers it, of course.
>
> - Lucas

Bugs have been filed:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=missing-build-arch-indep;users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org

https://udd.debian.org/bugs/?release=na&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&flastmodval=7&fusertag=only&fusertagtag=missing-build-arch-indep&fusertaguser=debian-qa%40lists.debian.org&allbugs=1&cpopcon=1&cseverity=1&ckeypackage=1&ctags=1&caffected=1&clastupload=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc&format=html#results

- Lucas