Re: Proposed mass bug filing: packages without support for build-arch and build-indep

Hi Lucas,

On 05/11/2021 21:22, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to propose a MBF with severity:serious for the above issue.
build-arch and build-indep are required targets according to Debian
Policy section 4.9.  This rule was introduced in Policy version 3.9.4,
released in 2012.
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#main-building-script-debian-rules

There are 421 affected packages in unstable (389 in testing as of
2021-10-01).
The list of affected packages according to lintian is
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-rules-missing-recommended-target
A dd-list is included below.

Thanks for looking at this.

Unfortunately this is only a warning in lintian, which might explain
why so many packages are still affected.

lintian should move those targets to the debian-rules-missing-required-target tag.

I have no strong feelings about this requirement, but I see it as a good
opportunity to identify packages whose packaging probably need a
refresh. Therefore it is a good target, especially at the beginning of a
release cycle, to either update old cruft or get it removed from the
next stable release.

This topic was raised back in April on debian-qa@, and saw no
objection back then. See
https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2021/04/msg00014.html (the thread
included other topics).

The bug template I plan to use is included below.

I would prefer to file bugs directly with severity:serious, but I'm fine
with starting with severity:important and bumping severity after a month
or two if the release team prefers it, of course.

I think severity serious is fine if you use an appropriate Version so that this won't block testing migration. I would still prefer if this was filed at important severity, and raised to serious after a month or so.

Cheers,
Emilio