Re: Lintian and Dpkg's :any multiarch qualifier

Hi Felix,

Quoting Felix Lechner (2021-11-04 20:25:28)
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 2:35 AM Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <josch@debian.org> wrote:
> > it seems the only tool that calls :any an "acceptor" is lintian
>
> I think the multiarch spec is confusing because of its terminology.
> It's been a hurdle for many people.

I think inventing new terminology that is not used anywhere else just adds
confusion. I agree that terminology can be confusing but this can be fixed by
either

 * adding better documentation for the existing terminology, for example to
   wiki pages, Debian policy or the upcoming Multiarch Specification shipped by
   dpkg [1] or by

 * changing the terminology such that all the involved tools use the same
   terminology

I don't think just Lintian starting to use new terminology that is not used by
dpkg, apt or the wiki pages is helpful at all. Quite the opposite. I think this
just makes the status quo worse.

Thanks!

cheers, josch

[1] https://git.hadrons.org/cgit/debian/dpkg/dpkg.git/tree/doc/multiarch.txt?h=pu/doc-multiarch-spec