Re: Lintian and Dpkg's :any multiarch qualifier

Hi,

Quoting Felix Lechner (2021-11-03 23:34:17)
> For a brief time between October 1 and October 15, Lintian gave potentially
> confusing advice on some build prerequisites. [1]
>
> The :any multiarch acceptor—a rarely used feature some other tools call the
> "muliarch qualifier"—

it seems the only tool that calls :any an "acceptor" is lintian while the rest
of the world calls it a qualifier. I filed a MR to fix this:

https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/merge_requests/378

> was originally not implemented at all [2] and then implemented incorrectly.
> [3] Many people do not even know about the feature.  To my knowledge it works
> now.
>
> Here are two questions:
>
> 1. Did anyone find the latest Lintian versions (2.109.0 and up)
> confusing as to whether the :any should be included? The material you
> would have encountered includes both the context offered by Lintian
> (the extra information after the tag) and any relevant tag
> descriptions.
>
> 2. Should Lintian issue any advice when it sees the :any multiarch
> acceptor? If so, for which packages? It might allow maintainers to
> undo erroneous advice they may have been given, although many folks use the
> feature legitimately, as well.

which wording do you need advice on? I grepped the Lintian git for tags
containing the string :any and still wasn't sure what you are exactly asking
about.

Thanks!

cheers, josch