Re: Debian's branches and release model

On 2021-10-20 22:51:59 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> In most OpenStack projects, you cannot skip an OpenStack release,
> at least because of the db schema upgrades.
[...]

Upstream, I want to keep pushing on what we referred to as
"skip-level upgrades" which would be something akin to embedding
just the routines needed to upgrade data structures for earlier
versions into each later version. The "fast-forward upgrades" we
worked out (where you at least don't need to start any services on
the intermediate versions) is certainly an improvement, but not a
desirable end state in my opinion.

Granted, from a Debian perspective, this would be akin to upgrading
from buster to bookworm without installing bullseye's packages along
the way. Not as vast a collection of software albeit, but still
hundreds of projects which need upgrading and need to be able to
"skip" between arbitrary numbers of intermediate releases, so not
trivial either.
--
Jeremy Stanley