Re: Q. What is the best practice about +dfsg and +ds extension?

On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 03:12:04PM +0200, Timo Röhling wrote:
> * Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> [2021-10-02 15:03]:
> > I use ~ (tilde) as delimiter when possible, to make room for an eventual
> > later release with the issues fixed, without needing ugly versioning or
> > being forced to wait for a later upstream release.
> Has this actually ever happened? I would expect that most upstream
> authors would rather create a new patch release than retroactively
> change the contents of an existing one.

If the old version was 1.4, the one with the minor content change (like
deleting some Windows binaries) is likely to be called 1.4-nocontrib,
1.4.1 or 1.4a.  Using a too high character risks making the altered release
to have a higher version than the upstream.

+ is 0x2b
- is 0x2d
. is 0x2e
~ is less than the empty string