Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 05:31:41PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> While one could imagine adding support to all the appropriate
> source packages to build similar “Architecture: all” packages, that would
> require convincing all the relevant maintainers,

Adding a new release architecture (partial or not) requires convincing
the ftp team and the release team.

It would also require many software changes.

How would for example the dependencies of wine:amd64 be fulfilled?

Just supporting that package dependencies might only be fulfilled by
also using packages from a different architecture would require changes
in many places, like for example the testing migration scripts that
ensure installability after migration.

> and it would end up tying the testing migrations to MinGW-w64...

If this partial arch (and Wine) should be part of Debian releases,
then testing migrations would have to be tied to it in any case.

> The buildd situation isn’t necessarily that much of an obstacle: it seems to
> me we could have “Windows” buildds which are really Linux amd64 systems, that
> cross-build for Windows.

The first obstacle is that if you want to be the first who does cross
building packages on the buildds, there is likely a lot of work and
bugfixing ahead for you for getting that working.

> Regards,
>
> Stephen

cu
Adrian