Re: Require packages to build without any configured DNS

On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 04:39:39PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> Do anybody on the list have any opinion on where is the bug, on
> dnspython, or on the build environment?

I concur that the absence of /etc/resolv.conf is a sensible
configuration. Indeed, it is my method-of-choice for implementing
poor-man's network-less builds with sbuild: Delete /etc/resolv.conf. It
doesn't actually prevent network access, but makes accidental network
access very unlikely.

I'm unsure whether /etc/resolv.conf is supposed to be essential. None of
the packages in that set ensure its creation. Rather debootstrap and
mmdebstrap have extra code to copy the host's /etc/resolv.conf into the
chroot. Therefore any created chroot will contain one. However that
seems more like an artifact of the bootstrap implementation rather than
an intentional guarantee to me.

As such, I err on dnspython being in need of a fix.

Helmut