Re: Shall we serve scripts as application or as text?

Quoting Paul Wise (2021-08-30 02:32:14)
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
>
> > For scripting languages like sh and Python, I'm not sure: either way
> > could be appropriate. Which is more common: sharing scripts as source
> > code to read and edit, or sharing scripts as executables to download
> > and run as-is? If the former, text/ makes sense, if the latter,
> > application/.
>
> I would lean towards encouraging review of scripts rather than
> downloading and executing them.

I would lean towards encouraging review of **all** objects downloaded
online - not only scripts.

My point is, that I think the reasoning above is wrong: Improving
user-operated web agents a.k.a. web browsers is better done at another
layer than the classification of objects.

Is readability or executability the primary feature of a script?

I'd say it is the executability feature.

Yes, executing stuff can be dangerous sometimes, but emphasizing other
features is a bad security practice.  If you sell a gun then warn that
it can damage feet - don't emphasize how it can be used as a hammer.

 - Jonas