Shall we serve scripts as application or as text?

Hello evrybody,

and since it is my first email after the release, A BIG THANK YOU to
those who made it possible !

Since Bullseye, the /etc/mime.types is provided in its own package,
media-types, and in Bookworm I would like to brush up its contents
further.

/etc/mime.types is typically used by servers to provide a media type to
the receiver of a file, based on the extension of that file's name.
Thus, it is expected that file extensions appear only once in
/etc/mime.types.

At the moment, one of the exceptions to this rule are some script
extensions, in particular sh, csh and tcl, which are present under both
the text/ and the application/ types.

Judging from IANA's registered types for other script languages, it
looks like the application type is more relevant.  Also, the
application/ types appear first in our /etc/media.types file, and if I
remember well this gives them precedence anyway.  A quick random check
in the Internet shows that there is no consistency on how shell scripts
are served, but that the application type is used among others.

Before I remove text/x-sh and the like so that shell and tcl scripts
files are served as 'application' like others, I would like to hear if
some of you see a potential problem with that.

Have a nice Sunday!

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Tooting from work,           https://mastodon.technology/@charles_plessy