Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

    Simon> Hi,
    Simon> On 8/16/21 3:18 AM, Paul Wise wrote:

    >> I'd like to suggest that we standardise on the upstream VCS for
    >> our orig.tar.gz files and phase out use of upstream packaging
    >> ecosystems.

    Simon> This is also an additional burden on package maintainers:
    Simon> explaining how they arrived at that particular "upstream"
    Simon> package in a reproducible way, and why what we ship as "orig"
    Simon> is different from upstream, and what the copyright and
    Simon> licensing situation for that derived work is.

    Simon> Upstream projects have gotten a lot sloppier in how they cut
    Simon> releases, that is true, and that is making packaging more
    Simon> difficult as we need to disable mechanisms and embedded code
    Simon> copies that were included for our "convenience."

    Simon> Rather than accept defeat,

I don't think it's accepting defeat to use an upstream vcs.
I think it's just better.
IT's closer to the development workflow I'd use to work on the upstream.
AS a maintainer, it makes it easier for me to forward or back port
patches.
It makes it easier for me to contribute upstream.

I acknowledge your concern about needing to justify why I picked a
particular git tag.

By this point I kind of think source tarballs are an anti-pattern.

I do agree with you that Debian should work with upstreams to understand
our needs and to produce high quality releases.
At least for me though, that's unrelated to this issue.
In my world high quality source releases are signed git tags not
tarballs.
I'd like Debian to embrace my world:-)