Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

On 2021-08-16, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> While discussing PyPI with the Python team, it was pointed out that
> sometimes the tarball contains things that cannot be regenerated from
> just the VCS snapshot, such as information stored in the VCS history,
> so perhaps the recommendation should be to prefer the VCS but always
> compare the VCS with upstream tarballs and packaging ecosystem tarballs
> using diffoscope in order to discover differences important to Debian.

At least some upstreams I'm involved in is having translations managed
different from source code, and only pulled into the tarball at tarball
generation time (though it might be committed to the git tag)

Though this is not part of the "packaigng ecosystems", we should ensure
that recommendations aren't too specific.

/Sune