Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 12:42 +0200, Steve Cotton wrote:
> Am Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 11:21:38AM +0100 schrieb Luca Boccassi:
> > On Sat, 2021-08-21 at 22:57 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > Just like no one had detected the database corruption in Ubuntu
> > > before
> > > I spotted the problem via code review and analysis (which I guess
> > > in
> > > your world translates to "opinion"). I'd expect the problems with
> > > aliased directories to be that kind of insidious issue that
> > > people
> > > have a very hard time trying to pin point, and which will be
> > > getting
> > > worse as time passes.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, what has been stated as a potential
> > theoretical consequence is files disappearing and upgrades failing.
> > Why
> > would these be hard to detect? It would seem to be a pretty visible
> > consequence, no?
>
> How would you know which package to log a bug on? Would you feel able
> to log a
> useful bug report at all, given that all you've detected is that
> something is
> losing data from the filesystem?
>
> * How do you know it's not a kernel filesystem bug?
> * How do you know it's not a kernel caching bug?
> * How do you know it wasn't just a typo by the administrator?
> * How long ago did it happen anyway, when did you last use this
> utility?
> * Could it have been an accidental power-off?
> * Hardware bug?
> * Something installed from experimental?
>
> Guillem didn't say it was hard to detect, the text you quoted says
> "very hard
> time trying to pin point".
>
> Steve

Of course I can't know for sure, but if an upgrade "lost" a file, I
would imagine a user would file a bug against either the kernel
(blaming the filesystem) or dpkg (blaming the package manager). That's
what I assume I would do in that situation. Failing that, I suppose the
fallback is reaching out to the usual support channels - generalist
mailing list, irc. Has there been an increase (or any at all) in bug
reports about files disappearing on the kernel/dpkg/apt? Has there been
an increase (or any at all) of support request about disappeared files
on debian-devel or debian-user? I mean, from my experience our users
are very vocal when things break badly, even if they don't know exactly
where the root cause is - I am used to see bugs filed against
src:nvidia-graphics-driver pretty much anytime anything remotely
related to "show stuff on screen" goes wrong, if there happens to be an
nvidia card in use :-)

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi