Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

Am Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 11:21:38AM +0100 schrieb Luca Boccassi:
> On Sat, 2021-08-21 at 22:57 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Just like no one had detected the database corruption in Ubuntu before
> > I spotted the problem via code review and analysis (which I guess in
> > your world translates to "opinion"). I'd expect the problems with
> > aliased directories to be that kind of insidious issue that people
> > have a very hard time trying to pin point, and which will be getting
> > worse as time passes.
>
> If I understand correctly, what has been stated as a potential
> theoretical consequence is files disappearing and upgrades failing. Why
> would these be hard to detect? It would seem to be a pretty visible
> consequence, no?

How would you know which package to log a bug on? Would you feel able to log a
useful bug report at all, given that all you've detected is that something is
losing data from the filesystem?

* How do you know it's not a kernel filesystem bug?
* How do you know it's not a kernel caching bug?
* How do you know it wasn't just a typo by the administrator?
* How long ago did it happen anyway, when did you last use this utility?
* Could it have been an accidental power-off?
* Hardware bug?
* Something installed from experimental?

Guillem didn't say it was hard to detect, the text you quoted says "very hard
time trying to pin point".

Steve