Re: Q: Use https for {deb,security}.debian.org by default

On 20.08.21 21:11, Russ Allbery wrote:
The way I would put it is that the security benefit of using TLS for apt
updates is primarily that it makes certain classes of attempts to mess
with the update channel more noisy and more likely to produce immediate
errors.
One thing of note is that it introduces a time dependency on the client. Now we seem to gravitate towards a world where you'd also fail DNS resolution if your time is wrong (because you cannot get at the DNS-over-TLS/HTTPS server), so this is probably accepted as not making things worse overall. I guess we could have some (somewhat insecure) defense in depth if we wanted to, but maybe the world just agreed that you need to get your clock roughly correct. ;-)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern