Re: Q: Use https for {deb,security}.debian.org by default

On 2021-08-20 07:56:33 -0700 (-0700), Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> Do you think using HTTPS makes security worse?
[...]

No, obviously not, except insofar that instilling a false sense of
security can be harmful in the long term because it excuses people
from thinking about the actual problems they're hoping to solve.

> Personally, I think we should switch our default to HTTPS not
> because we have a specific security flaw in mind against which
> HTTPS provides some protection but because it's consistent with
> the general message that a lot of us (including, for example, the
> EFF and the IETF) are trying to send to average users who don't
> have the expertise to analyze any of this: use TLS by default
> wherever you can.

Yes, this is a much nicer way of rephrasing it, but basically still
what I said. Turning on HTTPS by default wouldn't be addressing any
particular user risk, it would simply keep everyone from having to
discuss and explain it ad nauseum. Much like replacing older hash
functions for non-security-related checksumming: the potential for
accidental collisions may not outweigh the engineering effort
required to update applications or protocols, but the time
developers will spend having to explain why they're using MD5 or
SHA-1 hashes can be orders of magnitude greater still.
--
Jeremy Stanley