Re: Q: Use https for {deb,security}.debian.org by default

Hi,

On 8/20/21 9:04 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

One of the things that confuses me about this user story is why are your
containers doing non-trivial amounts of apt traffic at runtime?  Generally
the whole point of a container is that you only do this during container
build time.  I'm not sure I understand how you have gotten into a
situation where you have containers that you can't modify but that are
self-modifying (by updating apt packages) at runtime.

I was thinking of VPS hosting for the most part, where users will run apt or auto-apt inside their virtual server.

Building containers seems to be mostly harmless, at least no mirror operator has complained so far when I do a few hundred rebuilds for testing and download 500 MB of packages every time.

   Simon