Re: Q: Use https for {deb,security}.debian.org by default

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> I support that idea in principle, but one of our user stories is "I have
> a datacenter with a few thousand containers in it, so I want to redirect
> accesses to the local mirror to reduce external network traffic."

Just checking that I understand.  You have several thousand containers
that you're running in your data center but cannot modify and whose
network access specifically to Debian apt mirrors you want to intercept
and redirect, and you're relying on them using http instead of https in
order to be able to do this?

One of the things that confuses me about this user story is why are your
containers doing non-trivial amounts of apt traffic at runtime?  Generally
the whole point of a container is that you only do this during container
build time.  I'm not sure I understand how you have gotten into a
situation where you have containers that you can't modify but that are
self-modifying (by updating apt packages) at runtime.