Re: merged /usr

On Aug 16, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 07:53:20AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Implementations with real /bin /sbin /lib* directories and symlink farms
> > are not useful because they would negate the major benefits of
> > merged-/usr, i.e. the ability of sharing and independently updating
> > /usr.
> In those cases, you would never run dpkg inside the system with the
> "shared" /usr directory, so for those cases having /bin /sbin /lib* be
> symlinks or real directories is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant because then you would need to update /bin /sbin
/lib* on the root file system when a new binary is added to the /usr
file system (e.g. in an updated OS image).
So I do not think that you understand well this use case.

> The point of having /bin etc not be a symlink is *to stop confusing
> dpkg*.
This is a legitimate but very minor goal which could also be achieved
by changing dpkg.

--
ciao,
Marco