Re: Question Re: Advertising in Packages

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 2:22 AM Antonio Russo wrote:

>    "Can one advertise non-free services in a Debian package?
>     Is doing so a violation of some Debian policy?

There is no specific rule against this, but I feel that culturally
Debian generally doesn't like this.

> The details are filed against firefox[-esr], #992208 [1] (which was
> summarily closed without very much discussion).  The non-free services in
> question are Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter.

I'd like to see those removed too, but ...

I expect removing these might violate the Firefox trademark license,
which would mean we would have to go back to the Iceweasel branding.

The Debian users who are aren't against non-free services would likely
get confused/annoyed if standard web services for their country were
to disappear.

> I would propose we replace these with things like lemmy, mastadon, peertub,
> matrix, framasoft, fsf.org, and debian.org.

These are mostly names of software rather than services, unless you
suggest to point at specific hosted instances of these software
projects.

--
bye,
pabs