Re: Debian package manager privilege escalation attack

Hi,

On 2021-08-12 2:25 a.m., Brian Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-08-12 at 11:19 +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 01:12:37AM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
>>> Would you agree that there is an issue with sudo access that is
>>> enabled
>>> by default on most Debian and Debian-based distributions? The bug
>>> may
>>> not be in apt, but it definitely lives somewhere.
>> Do you think "sudo access" itself is a "privilege escalation attack"?
>
> I do not. I think that the possibility of dangerously configured sudo
> access is a vulnerability.

So this is not a *privilege escalation attack* but more a warning to all
user that "using sudo can be used to do stuff as root" ?

We are so lucky that someone wrote a article on the subject and you
shared it with us.

But this is not a privilege escalation attack, it's something that is
planned and known.

1. Read apt documentation, it is said that script will be executed as root.
2. Read sudo documentation, it is said that allowing user access to some
program as root should be as limited as possible.
3. Read sudo documentation, the goal is allowing to run a root.

Now if people start doing stuff they don't master than it's not
privilege escalation but much more something like another manifestation
of human stupidity. And this, there won't be a number of article
sufficient to make people change.

If I'd have apt access under sudo and would like root access, this would
be the last method I'd use. There's so many more, starting by modifying
a existing package and adding a backdoor to it, the updating the system.
Adding SSH keys, adding a line to sudoers, etc.

This is only a article made to get people onto a website and see
publicity or whatever goal the author set. There's nothing genuine in there.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside