Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> I see that you have your system configured to store /tmp on your disk.
> This is generally not recommended these days.  Storing /tmp in tmpfs is
> much faster for some applications and automatically achieves the desired
> and standard /tmp behavior of clearing it on reboot.  About the only
> reason not to use tmpfs is if you have a very memory-constrained system
> and don't want to use any member at all for memory-backed file systems.

Argh, that should have been "and don't want to use any *memory* at all for
memory-backed file systems."

Apologies for the additional message, but that word substitution was
sufficiently confusing that I'm not sure the intended meaning was clear.