Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

Hi,

On 2021-07-18 5:07 p.m., Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 04:31:11PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>> My personal opinion is that Debian is going into a mostly "we got the
>> best idea in the world but forgot that not everyone implement things the
>> same way".
>
> I recommend understanding the issue before putting forth an opinion.

Maybe I shall correct what I said as it may be misunderstood.

Without regard to this specific issue, I seem to have noticed that the
Debian project has made some change in good faith, based on some
technological conception of what is the best. But in the end, most user
seem not to need those change and be a source of problem for most of them.

I've had hell of a mess to understand the change to SystemD.

Not so long ago I even learned that it caused a fork for a Debian
derivative called Devuan.

For me it was a huge departure from the KISS philosophy and I feel that
this "usrmerge" is going the same way.

I will take time to review what you have gave me as link and see what
will be my opinion after this.

>> I currently have a different partition for my /usr and this has been the
>> case since the end of 1990s when I started on Linux. Maybe I'm wrong but
>> I like it this way.
>>
>> Will the merge-usr cause myself problem ?
>
> No. Not as long as you use an initramfs created by any of the
> supported Debian tools like initramfs-tools or dracut, which you
> will do unless you have gone out of your way to do something
> different.

I've did many Debian install, using the standard installation software,
creating those partition from the "expert" choice of install mode. And
never had problem, I believe that the initramfs tools must be doing
their job.

> And regardless of merged-/usr, /usr on separate partition has not
> been supported in Debian without an initramfs since the stretch
> release in 2017.

I've used Stretch with a separate /usr without much problem, as said above.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside