Re: Debian 11, system.map, DKMS

Hi

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 03:08:51PM +0200, Жора Волков wrote:
> A DKMS-built kernel module that I have on my system relies on system.map. A
> build script for the module parses that file in order to figure out
> addresses of certain functions.

No normal kernel module requires tinkering with System.map.  Kernel
modules use exported functions via normal linking and relocation.  This
is what everyone uses.

So if some module uses System.map, it wants to use not exported
functions or violate the kernel license.  Function addresses are not
even part of our ABI, so such modules are not even compatible between
different builds of the kernel.  Sorry, but why should we support this?

> Now, without that file in Debian 11, there is simply no way for my
> DKMS-built module to find out the required function's address (unless I
> install that gargantuan debug package).

So you have a workaround.

Bastian

--
The heart is not a logical organ.
		-- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4