Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

Hello Guillem,

On Wed 14 Jul 2021 at 11:40PM +02, Guillem Jover wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-07-14 at 19:54:56 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> Sean Whitton dixit:
>> >* #978636 move to merged-usr-only?
>> >
>> >  We were asked to decide whether or not Debian 'bookworm' should
>> >  continue to support systems which are not using the merged-usr
>> >  filesystem layout.  We decided that support should not continue beyond
>> >  Debian 'bullseye'.
>>
>> What? WHAT? WHAT?
>>
>> >  The decision is captured here:
>> >  <https://bugs.debian.org/978636#178>
>>
>> No reason provided either. This stinks. I’m v̲e̲r̲y̲ disappointed.
>> Debian is becoming untenable. Years ago, I had hoped it won’t.
>
> I've been meaning to send a note about this for some time now, but
> as I feel it keeps getting ignored, it always seems a bit pointless.
>
> But in any case, given that merged-usr-via-aliased-dirs is not really
> supported by dpkg anyway, it is broken by design [B], I have no
> intention whatsoever to break any of my systems with such layout going
> forward, I'm thus planning to spend any necessary volunteer time
> implementing any fix, workaround or solution required to avoid having
> to use it, in detriment of other Debian volunteer time. I already
> started some time ago with dpkg-fsys-usrunmess(8), present already in
> the upcoming bullseye release.
>
> [B] <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Does_dpkg_support_merged-.2Fusr-via-aliased-dirs.3F>

Just to confirm, when you say "merged-usr-via-aliased-dirs", you mean
what I would get if I typed 'debootstrap bullseye /foo', right?

I would like to note that the TC decision did not specify any particular
implementation of merged-/usr.  It was just about whether to continue to
try to support both.

--
Sean Whitton