Re: Need help with Multi-Arch in systemd

On Thu, 08 Jul 2021 at 23:03:48 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> [a separate libsystemd-shared-249 .deb] would also mean, that on every
> new upstream release, systemd would have to go through NEW

It seems like we're rejecting a good technical solution because
social/organisational factors block it (namely, new binary packages
triggering manual review from the ftp team even if there has not been
any significant change in how the package is organised, resulting in
manual review being artificially frequent for libraries that happen to
break ABI a lot, but infrequent for packages that aren't libraries or
don't break ABI).

This seems like a side-effect of the ftp team's two gatekeeping roles
(legal review and managing the namespaces of source and binary package
names) both having the dak override file as their implementation, rather
than necessarily anything that was designed or intended.

Would it be feasible for dak to have a list of binary package name
regexes mapped to a source package and a section/priority, and auto-accept
packages from the given source package that match the regex, assigning
the given section/priority, without manual action? That would let the
ftp team pre-approve src:systemd to ship /^libsystemd-shared-[0-9]+$/
in libs/optional, for example.

It seems like this would also be good for src:linux, where ABI breaks
are often tied to security fixes that should enter the archive ASAP.

    smcv