Re: Need help with Multi-Arch in systemd

On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 10:28:57AM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> I also disagree with the need to go through NEW more than once. The new
> package could quite simply be named libsystemd-private and lack a
> .symbols and .shlibs file. Internal users would always use (=
> ${binary:Version}) anyway. The package description would declare that
> any external dependency on libsystemd-private is a bug. Prior art:
> libbinutils/binutils-dev.

The prior art of libbinutils/binutils-dev is that instead of shared
linking, users are linking to the static version to the private library
(see e.g. #964536).

I don't understand what benefits this switch to static linking gives,
except for making security support harder.

> Helmut

cu
Adrian