Re: Unique kernel with my own backup of all Debian repositories

On 2021-06-12 at 12:52, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-06-12 12:21 p.m., John E Petersen wrote:
>
>> Hey folks, I’m developing a unique kernel based on Debian Linux,
>> and I’ve been scraping the website for repositories. After a few
>> thousand, the servers start to block my ip.
>>
>> I’m just trying to keep the crazy government out of Linux, because
>> they keep monkeying with repositories on Ubuntu, not to mention
>> snap/snapd/brltty/systemd…
>
> Did you smoke something that wasn't meant to end up in your lungs ?
> Have you ingested some mushrooms ?
>
> What you write here is a total screw-up non-sense !

I think it's mostly just a matter of mistaken terminology. There may
well be faulty assumptions underlying parts of it (certainly there are
things which it seems to be assuming are true that I would probably
disagree about), but not nearly as much as you seem to be parsing.

I interpreted the original mail as asking a question roughly along the
lines of:

"I'm trying to create my own Linux distribution, based on Debian,
because I think a lot of the things that have been happening in
Debian-derived distributions such as Ubuntu lately are the result of
insane government action.

However, in the course of trying to pull all existing Debian packages et
cetera to create a local repository to use as the base of this distro, I
can only download a few thousand items; after that, the server starts
blocking my IP address, even though I'm not doing anything malicious.

Why is this happening, and how can I get an appropriate replica of the
appropriate repositories / et cetera, to use as the basis of such a
derived distribution?"

Except mistakenly using the term "kernel" instead of "distribution", and
with more detail (albeit still vague and FUD-ish) about specific things
which are interpreted as evidence of government-insanity meddling.

Just at a glance, I'd guess that the problem is that the downloads are
hammering the servers, and they're blocking the downloading IP address
as an anti-DoS measure. I had a similar issue at one point for rather
different reasons, and if memory serves, I avoided the issue by just
adding a (possibly-semi-random) delay period - of only a few seconds -
after the download of each consecutive file.

--
   The Wanderer