Re: Reconsider sending ITP bugs to debian-devel: a new list?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:05:02AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> But WNPP is problematic on its own: Right now, we have 1586 normal
> priority open bugs, 4613 wishlist open bugs (what would the difference
> be? It seems *most* normal are O and RFA, while ITPs, RFPs and such
> are mostly wishlist... but it's not entirely consistent) between ITA,
> ITP, O, RFA, RFH.
According to https://wnpp.debian.net/ there are 3064 RFP bugs. All of them
can be safely closed and don't need acting upon. That's a whole half of
open bugs.
There are also 1688 open ITP bugs and those tend to be open for multiple
years for various reasons. Not sure if bartm's and/or lucas's script which
moves them to RFPs is still working. If it doesn't then we probably have
too many ITPs which will never produce a package.
Other 1547 bugs are just documentation about state of the packages already
in the archive (1226 of them are O) which ideally should be separate from
RFP and ITP.

> Quite probably, many of them have just slipped of anybody's sight and
> will never be acted upon.
> Yes, they document work needed, but are barely visible for us if we
> don't explicitly go out searching for them.
I never though the purpose of WNPP is looking at the bug list, or acting
upon it (except for the most likely not happening workflow of looking
through the RFP list searching what to package). The ITP list is ideally a
synchronization thing which you use by searching for a package name
(ideally because many people don't check them before starting to package
something) and O/RFA etc. bugs should be discovered with wnpp-alert,
how-can-i-help and tracker.d.o.

> We have 20 year old RFPs (#119911, even with nice bug numbers!), 17
> year old ITPs (#237925). And this is news to nobody.
#237925 has an interesting history which includes 8 years of being
archived but yeah.

--
WBR, wRAR