Re: Reconsider sending ITP bugs to debian-devel: a new list?

Hi Jon!

Jon Dowland wrote:

>ITP bugs are copied to debian-devel@. The intention, I think, is to make
>sure that they have many eyes on them.  ITP bugs often get feedback from
>readers of debian-devel.
>
>I think this is valuable. However, it's one job/task/role, and sometimes
>One wishes to focus on other jobs/tasks/roles instead. When I subscribed
>to debian-devel directly, I most often filtered ITP mail into a separate
>mailbox, to read at separate times. Nowadays, I read most Debian lists
>via NNTP gateways, and filtering ITPs is not quite so convenient (not
>least, because I don't easily have an analogue of the ITP-dedicated
>mailbox I used to.). But besides me, I think a better "default" for
>debian-devel would be not to have the ITPs.
>
>I think the ITP mails can make reading the rest of the list difficult
>without extra local filtering or steps.  Some times they are the
>majority of the list traffic. I think it would be better if
>ITP mail went to a separate, dedicated list, e.g. "debian-itp" to which
>contributors are encouraged to subscribe and participate.

To be honest, I think if we did that we'd lose just about all the
reviews that currently happen. The whole point of sending ITPs to
d-devel is that they will be seen by a wider audience, but I can't see
many signing up for YA mailing list for them.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews