Re: Figuring how to work with team-maintained packages on salsa

Hello Helmut,

On Fri 04 Jun 2021 at 08:49PM +02, Helmut Grohne wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:43:59PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I want to add a few patches to this repository:
>>
>>   <https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/glibc/>
>>
>> Surely there must be some tool support to help with that?  I know how
>> to do it manually (perhaps even involving quilt).  Has every Debian
>> developer their own script for that?  (It's like this in RPM land …)
>
> There is no homogeneity on git repositories. The sad truth is that if
> you want to work with arbitrary packages in a homogeneous way, it is
> best to avoid git entirely and work with .debdiffs instead. Eventually,
> dgit might solve this, but its adoption still is fairly low.

dgit has already mostly solved working with arbitrary packages in a
homogeneous way -- `dgit clone` gets you something standard, and you can
then just cherry-pick/format-patch your work to share with the
maintainer.

--
Sean Whitton