Re: Tone policing by a member of the community team [Was, Re: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board]

Hi,

Firstly, I was notidied via mail that the message was initially private (but it was not, if I understand what you say, and since I read it). I am sorry for this as your thread should have been private and would not have created such situation. I would not have had any feedback if it had been private, sure.

Secondly, and I let others CT members confirm or not, the author of this message is now under attention, so that such facts do not happen again. I am not sure anymore (so much things happent last week about mailing lists), but the person may be under a possible ban or ban by listmasters. If he is not, the mail I sent requested him to stop, and if he does not, actions needs to be taken categorically.

Anyway, even if we struggle against transphobia, and that is a central point of our CoC and our general action as a CT, when the public mails become insulting, with words such as "shit" or others personal injures, are not acceptable anyway. Even if such a tone defends a minority, it does not help Debian to be a welcoming community. The good thing is to report such mails, in particular when becoming public, and ban the person who is author of such attacks against transphobic or any other form of diversity.

So my mail was not to support any attack against diversity but to stay in a welcoming environment, choosing words, or ignoring, and preferring reporting to the relevant teams (listamsters, CT, etc) instead of making escalation of words publicly. the context is already very flamish, so I hope we can avoid to add still flames by tone, and prefer addressing such mails, indeed unacceptable, privately and via the typical Debian processes.

regards

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
Debian Developer non uploading
Community team member
Accessibility team member
debian-l10n-french team member
President of Debian France non-profit organization