Tone policing by a member of the community team [Was, Re: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board]

Hi all,

After some long thought, I believe this message warrants a public response
(and discussion).

The facts are these:

 - an individual who is not part of the Debian community sent me (and other
   people) a private, unsolicited email sharing his views on the current
   topic of the day.
 - I responded, privately, telling him exactly what I thought of him and his
   views.
 - He in turn forwarded my private responses to a public mailing list
   without my consent.

The response by Jean-Philippe, a member of the Debian Community Team, was a
call for de-escalation and civility "by both sides"; i.e., tone policing.

While I am no oppressed minority who is going to be turned away from Debian
as a result of such tone policing, a member of the Community Team tone
policing an ally who is categorically rejecting transphobia sends a very bad
message to trans members of our community.  It shows that responding to
transphobes by communicating using strong language that the Debian community
rejects their views leaves one potentially subject to censure from the
Community Team.

I think the Community Team should do better.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/