Re: Changed Github download URLs are affecting lots of existing watch files

Hi Timo,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:55:14PM +0100, Timo Röhling wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> * Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [2021-03-26 22:38]:
> >   https://github.com/#GITHUBUSER#/#PACKAGE#/releases/latest .*/archive.*/#PREFIX#@ANY_VERSION@\.tar\.gz
>
> As .* also matches forward slashes, I use
>
>     https://github.com/#GITHUBUSER#/#PACKAGE#/releases/latest .*/#PREFIX#@ANY_VERSION@\.tar\.gz
>
> for my packages. BTW, I recently realized that "/latest" refers to the
> newest release by date, not necessarily the release with the greatest
> version number. (One of my upstreams makes maintenance releases for older
> minor versions, which end up being "latest" in the Github sense when
> they happen). If you omit that last part of the URL, you'll get a list
> of all releases. However, this also includes pre-releases (which may or
> may not be what you want).

Well, my point was not to discuss possible enhancements of the watch
file string but rather how to sensibly solve the issue that those
strings that used to work at least until last month now have stopped
working due to the change at Github.

Thank you for your comments anyway

     Andreas.

--