Re: Tools to better colorize the command-line experience?

Quoting Otto Kekäläinen (2021-02-21 10:44:02)
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 04:01, Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@canonical.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 11:02:24PM +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > > Do you have any tips about generic command-line coloring programs?
> >
> > The bat package provides a batcat program that'll add colour to a lot of
> > different file formats. There's some screenshots on the github page:
> > https://github.com/sharkdp/bat
>
> Thanks, bat is great. It has now become my standard replacement for 'cat'.
>
> I recently also switched to fzf[1] for my 'cd' and Ctrl+R use.

Just now, looking into fzf thanks to your mentioning it above, I
stumbled upon fzy claiming to be a better replacement.

I have no experience with either yet myself, just mentioning here as my
tiny contribution to this thread... :-)

> Thanks to this Debian-devel list I've learnt about both Liquid Prompt
> and the fuzzy-finder for the bash prompt, which both are very useful
> and solid (and not overly complex or incompatible like all those zsh
> extensions many Mac users rely on). I didn't expect that the
> command-line efficiency can still increase this much in 2021 and I am
> a bit surprised the standard tools shipped in all Linux distros are
> still the same as in the past 30 years or so. There is a lot of
> productivity improvements people are missing out with the standard
> tools..

I personally appreciate a conservative default: I use Midnight Commander
which rely on the prompt not being too fancy - and I guess other tools
(and folks) might freak out on having e.g. non-ASCII characters embedded
in the prompt as well.

One area I think could use some improvement, however, is the use of
/etc/profile.d: Would make sense that more Debian packages providing
shell profile hooks offer a debconf choice of enabling them system-wide
- just make sure that the _default_ choice is kept conservative.

 - Jonas