Re: Tools to better colorize the command-line experience?

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 04:01, Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 11:02:24PM +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > Do you have any tips about generic command-line coloring programs?
>
> The bat package provides a batcat program that'll add colour to a lot of
> different file formats. There's some screenshots on the github page:
> https://github.com/sharkdp/bat

Thanks, bat is great. It has now become my standard replacement for 'cat'.

I recently also switched to fzf[1] for my 'cd' and Ctrl+R use.

Thanks to this Debian-devel list I've learnt about both Liquid Prompt
and the fuzzy-finder for the bash prompt, which both are very useful
and solid (and not overly complex or incompatible like all those zsh
extensions many Mac users rely on). I didn't expect that the
command-line efficiency can still increase this much in 2021 and I am
a bit surprised the standard tools shipped in all Linux distros are
still the same as in the past 30 years or so. There is a lot of
productivity improvements people are missing out with the standard
tools..

[1] https://linuxnatives.net/2021/save-time-command-line-fuzzy-finder