Re: Huh?? sbuild fails and pbuilder succeeds in building a Fortran-containing Python package

On 2021-02-11 07:06:59, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:15:38AM +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Quoting Julian Gilbey (2021-02-10 22:51:39)
> > > I wonder if anyone has an idea about this thorny problem.  I'm trying
> > > to create a package and thought I'd got something wrong, but have
> > > found the same behaviour happens with the "amp" package (version
> > > 0.6.1-1) and the "spherepack" package (version 3.3~a1-4), which
> > > suggests to me that the problem lies outside of the package itself.
> > > But I have very little idea how to track this bug down.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > They are so different, yet supposedly using essentially identical
> > > build environments.  (They are also both using sid repositories.)
> > >
> > > If you have any idea why I might be seeing this behaviour, and what I
> > > might be able to do about it, that would be fantastic!
> >
> > I would actually not be surprised if we find reproducibility problems between
> > packages built on pbuilder versus packages build with sbuild. For example
> > sbuild sets HOME=/sbuild-nonexistent which will make packages FTBFS that try to
> > put anything in $HOME. This is not the problem here, though. If I wrap the call
> > to dh in debian/rules in strace -p I get:
> >
> > [...]
> > [pid   609] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/shm/o5kYxf", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0600) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
> > [...]
> > [pid   609] write(2, "error: [Errno 13] Permission den"..., 36error: [Errno 13] Permission denied
>
> Hi Josch,
>
> Wow, thanks!  I tried putting the strace call around the whole build,
> but that didn't work.
>
> > A workaround for this problem is indeed to add
> >
> > --chroot-setup-commands="chmod 777 /dev/shm"
> >
> > to your sbuild invocation. A cursory glance into the pbuilder codebase reveals
> > that pbuilder will mount a tmpfs into /dev/shm:
> >
> > https://sources.debian.org/src/pbuilder/0.231/pbuilder-modules/?hl=417#L417
> >
> > For sbuild, whether this is done, this depends on your chroot backend. The
> > package builds fine on the buildds though, so I guess they have a schroot setup
> > that sets /dev/shm up correctly?
>
> OK, so I'll submit this as a bug report / feature request to sbuild.

schroot already does the same in the sbuild and buildd profiles:

https://sources.debian.org/src/schroot/1.6.10-11/etc/profile-templates/buildd/linux/fstab/
https://sources.debian.org/src/schroot/1.6.10-11/etc/profile-templates/sbuild/linux/fstab/

Is your setup using any of the two profiles?

Cheers
--
Sebastian Ramacher