Re: Possible DEP proposal - contribution preferences

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2021-02-09 20:48:12)
> On 2/9/21 6:21 PM, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 01:55:19PM +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >>  * Whether or not contributors can feel free to reformat
> >>    files (e.g. wrap-and-sort -a -v).
> >>    ("allow-reformatting" in lintian-brush.conf)
> >
> > On this, please also read https://bugs.debian.org/895570#13
> >
> > tl;dr: I honestly believe we should just decide on a format, and
> > converge towards it.
> > It apparently works quite well for python as a whole ecosystem, where
> > now pretty much nobody is "against" pep8 (or even black!).  There is no
> > reason we can't manage to decide on a wrapping format and stick with it.
>
> I've been flamed a few times for (ab)using wrap-and-sort in some teams,
> I do believe it's not justified. Sometimes, it's up to a point one can
> hardly read the dependency list...

Tools like wrap-and-sort are certainly a no-go for NMUs!

Yes, it is harder for me to read packages not maintained in _my_ style,
but really I have *no* say on styling when only a quest making changes
to a package maintained by someone else.

If a package is too hard for me to help edit, then that is a reason so
not NMU that package, not a reason to re-style the package!

 - Jonas