Re: Possible DEP proposal - contribution preferences

On 2/9/21 6:21 PM, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 01:55:19PM +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>  * Whether or not contributors can feel free to reformat
>>    files (e.g. wrap-and-sort -a -v).
>>    ("allow-reformatting" in lintian-brush.conf)
>
> On this, please also read https://bugs.debian.org/895570#13
>
> tl;dr: I honestly believe we should just decide on a format, and
> converge towards it.
> It apparently works quite well for python as a whole ecosystem, where
> now pretty much nobody is "against" pep8 (or even black!).  There is no
> reason we can't manage to decide on a wrapping format and stick with it.

I've been flamed a few times for (ab)using wrap-and-sort in some teams,
I do believe it's not justified. Sometimes, it's up to a point one can
hardly read the dependency list...

What probably would make things a bit better, would be a lintian warning
that would compare the source package, and it's result after running
"wrap-and-sort -bastk", and then yell if there's a difference,
suggesting strongly to use wrap-and-sort.

I never wrote a lintian thing, does anyone want to implement it? It
should be super easy for anyone comfortable with Lintian, I guess... no?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)