Re: Making Debian available, non-free promotor

Hi,

Could there be the way that, with installer unable to connect to the
internet, it detects the list of missing blobs, and generate a webpage
in the thumb drive, and let user plug in another flash drive to download
them.

At then, we can let users download the missing drivers from the
generated webpage, like the following:

> Additional packages for the network interface
> ======
>
> As Debian is the universal operating system, we consider both users
> and free software important.  However, the network device of the
> computer requires firmware that is not available in the installation
> media, because these are considered non-free according to our
> guideline.
>
> We encourage you to get devices that respects your freedom.
>
> Meanwhile, you can either try another device that's known good using
> only free software, or download the .deb package(s) linked below and
> put into the same place this file resides:
>
> ---
>
> firmware-iwlwifi
> - for: Network Controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275
> - https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-iwlwifi

I realize that it is an additional step that may stop users from using
Debian.  But if we do not want to lower the priority of free software in
favor to the user, we have to increase the usability for people with
non-free devices in DFSG-only realm.

Just 2 cents,
Yao Wei