Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:22:18 +1100, Dmitry Smirnov
<onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thursday, 26 March 2020 7:27:33 PM AEDT Marc Haber wrote:
>> I still wouldn't dare pulling testing or unstable packages to
>> production systems. It's like a worst-of-all-worlds approach.
>
>Not at all. Packaging is an extra layer of safety. Upstream release may be
>outright broken, unusable or buggy with critical regressions. Presumably
>maintainer at least tested the packages maybe even by using.

Many upstreams deliver .deb packages of their current releases in
noticeably high quality from a Debian point of view. One should look
at them before putting them in production.

With all due respect, I'd prefer not getting laughed at by the
upstream community over taking advantage of the Debian package
maintainer's work and experience for many programs if they're
sufficiently fast-paced.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |